X10 [was: Re: socket and serial port]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jun 18 16:34:09 EDT 2004

On 6/18/04 1:18 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> As far as x10 devices go, some provide feedback, some don't. My lamp
> controllers just accept "on" and "off" commands - they don't tell me
> whether they're already on or off. But there are security switches and
> weather stations and who knows what else that do send information
> back.
>
> I'll let you know if this goes anywhere. The critical thing is
> avoiding sending any glitches out the serial port when toggling the
> control lines from runrev.

Mark, if you get this working, I'd love to know. We've been running our
house on X10 for years now. I used to run an old interface (can't
remember what it was called, it was the original from way back) that
allowed 2-way communication from a computer to X10 devices, but it never
worked correctly so I took it out of the system. But if you get your Rev
stack working, I'd be tempted to buy a firecracker device just to play
with it.

By the way, I have (somewhere) instructions that describe the format of
the signals you need to send. I only have hard copy; if you want to see
it, I'll have to fax it to you. It sounds like you already have that
info though.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com