SUPPORTED USER

hershbp at verizon.net hershbp at verizon.net
Thu Jun 17 15:20:02 EDT 2004

First of all , Thanks.
Accidently I sent this to the wrong place but if I got an answer I'll
accept it and appreciate it.
On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 02:54 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2004, at 2:27 PM, hershbp at verizon.net wrote:
>
> I've seen this posted several times, and you've probably seen no
> answers because your questions are a bit "unstructured." Perhaps some
> of them should actually be separate topics.
Your right, and therefore I set the subject to "novice questions" with
no specific heading.

>> What is the point of an varArray[] or how do they work that a var
>> won't do ? If I need more then 1 var use 2 var's or more wouldn't do
>> it ? Or
>> set itemDelimiter to tab
>> get item 1 of line 1
>> of  myVar if I need to explicitly create the array's and put every
>> thing separately ?
>
> Sometimes arrays are useful this way. For instance, if you have an
> array "CurrentUser", the array may look like this inside -
>
> CurrentUser["Name"] = "John Doe"
> CurrentUser["Job"] = "Junior Programmer"
> CurrentUser["Contract"] = TRUE
So this is like different columns, and how about rows ?

> and so on. Then, it can be more sensible to locate the specific
> information desired, and it keeps the user's information together.
> Using "the lines" in this case would be a bit messier to deal with. In
> general, arrays are an organizational tool, and there is nothing that
> says you MUST use them. It is useful for those who come to transcript
> that are used to other languages, or those with specific data handling
> needs best met with variables that have a more rigid structure.
All I understood is that if there is something like there must be a
useful purpose for it , if so I'd like should take advantage of it as
well.

>> Also the array's are like horizontal rows ,what's doing with rows (or
>> a 2 dimension array) ?
>>
>> If I use a varArray [] in a repeat e.g.
>> repeat for each line myL in varArray[]
>>      --could I take info from which array I want do the lines work
>> together ?
>>      if "A" then put line myL of varArray[1] else put line myL of
>> varArray[2]
>> end repeat--will it return item 2 of line 1 , if myL is the first
>> line?
>
> Have you actually tried it? What result did it give you?
yes I did and had the desired result , but wanted to know if it just
happened so or this is the way that array's work.