Jiggling the autoHilite handle

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jun 17 11:30:31 EDT 2004

I have some rectangle buttons in my project which don't behave too
nicely in OSX. They seem to like to retain the "down state". The hilite
value is set sometimes programmatically, other times via mouse
interaction. In either case, they can hold not the hilite state, but
whatever the autohilite state is called (the darkest button state,
mouseDown, whatever).

The only thing I've been able to do to thwart these unruly buttons is
to "jiggle the handle."

set the autoHilite of button "Unruly Button" to FALSE
set the autoHilite of button "Unruly Button" to TRUE

In some of my button cases, these states need to be resolved several
times a second, and there are at least several buttons which have these
needs. My hope was that by using OS styled buttons, my interface would
gain speed, but such behavior, and the only remedy I've found, seems to
fly in the face of that.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen similar behaviors, and how they may
have remedied the situation.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.