any good starter tutorials for using Rev's built in XML?

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Thu Jun 17 03:21:52 EDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 1:34 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: kee nethery <kee at kagi.com>
> Subject: Re: any good starter tutorials for using Rev's built in XML?
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> If you find a tutorial, please let me know.

Me too.

> I think the problem is that XML is a new set of knowledge and the XML
> functions are a new set of functions. If I already understood XML,
> chances are that the functions would make perfect sense to me. But I'm
> learning XML and the functions are not obvious without any context.

Kee, it's not you.  I used Microsoft's MSXML parser extensively for
Wired/Terra/Lycos for over 4 years, and I know it inside out, but I
can't for the life of me figure out the RR XML parser.

> There is an example XML stack but it is not an XML example stack. It
> does useful work rather than just provide examples of how each function
> would be used.

It may exercise many of the XML functions, but it's very difficult to
track down where they're called.  And it's also not clear that it
exercise's them all.

> For an XML example stack, I'd like to see sample XML stored in the
> stack, and then how you would use the functions to access the various
> pieces of data in that sample set of XML. I don't want it to do useful
> work. I just want to understand that given this XML, if you use these
> functions, you end up with this result. Then the names of the functions
> and how to use them might become clearer.

It wouldn't seem to be too much to ask for a call by call description,
with even one simple example for each call.

The code is presumably ported from somewhere else (I doubt they built
their own parser from scratch) -- the least they could do is point us
at the docs for the original source.

-- Frank