Question: Academic Revolution?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jun 15 19:42:42 EDT 2004

Hi Eric,

Eric Engle wrote:

> ability of revolution to read a web page (easy)
> ability of revolution to write a web page (has anyone any stacks that do this?)

You might want to check out Richard Gaskin's WebMerge product at
www.fourthworld.com

Also, Hemingway builds websites and has a RR client front end.
www.altuit.com

> ability of rev to run a cgi (I know this has been done by others)
> ability of a browser to be told to open stacks with rev

On the PC, check out ButtonGadget, which successfully launches a RR
standalone when you click on one of the ButtonGadget Buttonsets
(ButtonGadget must be first installed, of course).

These are all examples of what *can* be done with RR. Of course, it's up
to developers to figure out how best to do it. A comprehensive
explanation of all of this is beyond the scope of this email. But, you
can imagine that RR can write HTML (as well as TXT and binary data), and
one can set up a MIME type to launch a program from Internet Explorer as
well (using the registry).

best,

Chipp