handler not waiting when calling shell() under Win98

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 18:11:02 EDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 1:41 PM, Chris Sheffield wrote:

> Has anyone run into this problem?  I have a Rev standalone that
> launches an
> external installer program using the shell() function.  The docs
> specifically say that the current handler will pause until the shell
> returns
> its result, but this doesn't seem to be happening under Win98 or Me.
> Does
> anyone have any ideas?  My standalone depends on this, and it works
> fine
> under Win 2000/XP.  Seems to be a nasty bug.  Is there some way I can
> get
> around it?

Instead of making the program freeze till the instalation is completed,
can't you wait a couple seconds and then check if it's ready?

You can a recursive send in time to check if the instalation is done,
this would work on all systems and IMHO would be a more elegant way to
solve the problem.
You could keep checking for the presence of some files, or reading the
registry or win.ini (windows still uses this!?).

If indeed this is a nasty bug, by using this method I presented here,
you can deal with your problem and forget about the bug!

Cheers
Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL