MD5 output (was Encryption)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jun 12 15:26:51 EDT 2004

On Jun 12, 2004, at 5:57 AM, Wouter wrote:

> put md5hexDigest(<data>) into <container>
>
> function md5hexDigest x
>   get binaryDecode("H*", md5digest(x), tHexDigest)
>   return tHexDigest
> end md5hexDigest

This is a keeper!  (In mine, I define it in terms of my hex() function,
though.)

BTW, digests are almost always described in terms of bytes (or bits) of
output.  Of course, how can such a sequence be best represented in text
except by hex?  (which might be encoded in different character sets
different ways)

In general, we often have the problem of understanding whether the
literal text is intended or the meaning behind the text.  In this case,
it is the meaning as interpreted in the context of message digests.

Dar Scott