Capabilities: RTF editing, Graphs, flat-file database

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 11 00:44:20 EDT 2004

Jay Madren wrote:

> Why do you need to use a custom property?  Couldn't you just do it all in a
> local or global variable?  I figure you have a reason(s), but I'm not
> experienced enough in RR to know the ramifications of variables versus
> custom properties.

Sarah may have her own reasons, but I often use props over vars for
persistence, and sometimes for binding data to the windows that use them.

It's been a while since I've benchmarked it, but if I recall correctly I
believe accessing a custom property is nearly as fast as a global, and
like globals are several orders of magnitude faster than field accesses.

Anyone care to run a set of benchmarks on the current engine to see how
that holds up today?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation