Alpha Channel?

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 10 06:20:26 EDT 2004

>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:35:46 -0700, Richard Gaskin
><ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

[...]
> > Why on earth does RR do this?  It drives my students crazy.
> > Why do you have to lock the size of an image to keep it the size
> > you set it?  Is this a feature or a bug?
>
>I find it useful:  as with web pages, the default is to resize the image
>to its natural size.  If you swap out the filename you still get a
>properly-sized image.
>
>Thankfully we have a choice: if you never want it to change just set the
>lockLoc once and forget it.

It drives me crazy too because it's not clear how you turn off the 'revert
to original' feature permanently, for example if you want to repurpose the
image entirely and completely lose the original size. I mean, if I'd
altered the shape of an image in a graphics package, I wouldn't expect the
'original size' to haunt me forever, would I? I don't see an original size
as a 'natural' size; it's just what I started with, neither more nor less.
As I see it, a resized image is a new image, and the idea that the system
has a mysterious way of retaining its history is eccentric to say the
least. What if I duplicated it seven times and make each of the dupes a
different size, and then made each of the dupes part of a shape-changing
animation, moving between the new size of the dupe and some other size
dictated by the animation (this is an extension of a real case)? The way
things are now, I'd have to use an external package to do all these
transformations.

I'd like it so if I wanted the history, I could save it myself - otherwise
transformations should stay transformed. BTW I am not convinced that the
lockLoc feature works completely in all situations - at least I've had some
problems with editing groups (by script) which contain resized images. I
admit that these were too obscure to chase down into proper Bugzilla reports.

Just my 2 eurocents as ever

Grahay