Tasking (Background tasks)?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jun 10 04:32:27 EDT 2004

> This is not something that easily use the send in time construct.  I
> do not wish to waste the run-time a send in WAG requires.  What is the
> approiate construct to use so that several very intense repeat loops
> will get equal time?  I have been using wait for messages which did
> not function as I would have expected.

You might try "wait with messages" instead, but this may depend on what
you're processing.  If you post a sample of what you're doing, someone may
be able to offer a more specific suggestion.

Also, this may or may not be of some use to you but here is a simple stack
that demonstrates control over simultaneously running handlers -- quasi
threads, in effect (enter the following in your message box):

  go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/multi.rev"

Using "send in..." each "thread" can be started and stopped independently of
the others.  See the card script for the main handler.   As Jacqueline
explained, this is one way to simulate threaded events.  I included a bunch
of variable processing to simulate the effect of large number crunching but
again, I'm not sure what you're attempting to do.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design