Where to store read/write files on multi-user systems

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Jun 4 17:47:32 EDT 2004

Le 4 juin 04, à 16:19, Trevor DeVore a écrit :

> Scenario:
> An application which consists of the following parts -
> 1) Revolution executable
> 2) Revolution stack for storing global user information (read/write)
> 3) Valentina Database (read/write)
> 4) Revolution stack for storing user preferences (read/write)

Hello Trevor,

In my idea, the most secure way to get your project up would be to set
up this all as a work for Apache + a TCP sockets driven application
server (coded in Rev, Python or Java) connected to an ACID compliant
database server (PostgreSQL, FireBird, Sybase, Oracle,...) where the
Rev's client-side apps would have to act as  browsers of the
server-side stuff. Any other way will need lots more coding for less
usable results (availaibility, concurrents accesses, TCO).

> Problem:
> Where is the best place to store files with different requirements?
> Some should be read/writable by just the user, others by every user
> who uses your application.
>

> Here is what I have come up with and I am looking for feedback on this
> (more appropriate place to store things, etc.).  These use folders
> which are accessible using specialFolderPath or are located where the
> application was installed by the user.
>
> Windows XP/2000
> * User specific preference files (4 in my list above)- C:/Documents
> and Settings/USERNAME/Application Data/MYAPP
> specialFolderPath(26)
> * Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- C:/Documents and
> Settings/All Users/Application Data/MYAPP
> specialFolderPath(35)
>
> Windows 98/ME
> * User specific preference files (4)- C:/WINDOWS/Application Data/MYAPP
> specialFolderPath(26)
> * Everything else- C:/Program Files/MYAPP (basically the location
> where the user installs the app)
>
> Mac OS X
> * User specific preference files (4)-
> /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/MYAPP
> specialFolderPath("pref")
> * Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- /Users/Shared/MYAPP
> specialFolderPath("sdat")
>
> Mac OS 9
> * User specific preference files (4)- OS 9:System Folder/Preferences
> specialFolderPath("pref")
> * Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- Location where
> application is installed.
>

> --
> Trevor DeVore
> Blue Mango Multimedia
> trevor at mangomultimedia.com

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"