Windows externals

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Jun 3 13:04:03 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,

> This is somewhat related to my earlier post about determining the
> CD-ROM
> drive(s) available on a Windows machine.
>
> I'm thinking the best thing is going to be to take Mark's suggestion
> about
> creating an external to call the WinAPI GetDriveType() function.
>
> So my new question is has anyone done this already?  If not, does
> anyone
> have a shell sample project or something I can use to build the
> external?
> I've got VC++, but it's been a really long time since I've coded
> anything in
> C, and I've never created a dll, so I'm pretty clueless about how to
> do it.
> I've downloaded the external SDK from RunRev, but it's pretty much not
> helpful at all.
>
> If anyone has done this and can offer any advice at all, I would be
> eternally grateful.

Once upon a time, there was a nice "External Collection" for MetaCard
on the
old website of RunRev:

www.xworlds.com"

The win-version (EXT.dll) had exactly that functionality:

get cddrive() ## or something...

When it was new, it cost 49.95 bucks...
Later it was free...

(BTW, these externals had been created by Tuviah Snyder! ;-)

But the "MetaCard" section (and the link to the external) has been
removed recently
from that website... Now you find a link to "www.runrev" there ;-)

It looks like RunRev has already implemeted parts of these externals
into the GUI/engine...
(Look into the folder "Revolution 2.x//components/global environment/"
and you will find it there ;-)

Maybe they will implement THIS feature also into the GUI/engine at some
time, who knows...?

This may not help much, but i think this is a quite interesting story
:-)

> Thanks,
>
> Chris Sheffield
> Software Developer