Disappearing text in field and menubar

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Jun 3 00:51:36 EDT 2004

I've developed an OSX solution that uses a number of cards with a field
on each of those cards containing one line of text. I've spec'd Arial
24 point; some of the words have a textStyle of "link". When the user
mouses over these words, I have a script (named "handleTheMouseMove")
in the stack that highlights the linked word(s). No problems on OSX.

Here's the problem: When I move the stack over to my PC running W2K,
the text within the field appears very tiny, all "scrunched" together,
and with a baseline so far "north" in the field that you might see
about 5% of the words' bottoms. The "handleTheMouseMove" script doesn't
function. I can change the size, style, and font of the text using the
object inspector but nothing restores the text to the proper size; in
fact, it seems to be totally corrupted because selecting -any- size
fails to make the text appear.

If I create a new stack and paste the "problem" field into that stack,
the problem persists. If I create a new field in the "problem" stack,
the new field does -not- exhibit the problem. If I attempt to change
the properties of that "problem" field long enough, it crashes Rev.

Additionally, the menubar's text, though spec'd at Arial 12, isn't
visible. The menubar is "there" if you click in the appropriate
location but you don't see any text. The width of the menus are -way-
wider than the few words I've used (which you'll see if you edit the
menu's script).

This is not a new problem. This same stack exhibited the same problems
(which I bugzilla'd) last year. Unfortunately, I could not get enough
information back to the Rev folks so that they could test this
themselves. I had to cut-&-paste the scripts into a new stack that I
compiled for Windows only. If I developed the Mac stack in 1.1.1 (I
think), the problem did not carry over into Windows if I moved the
stack over and finalized development there.

I should also note that compiling in OSX on v2.2 for Windows produced
the same problems in the distribution (but no problem in OSX).

I have the stack and a folder of jpegs, etc. that amount to 1.6MB
zipped. If there's anyone with a PC who could see what it looks like on
his/her PC and report back to me (maybe with some ideas/suggestions?),
please drop me an eMail offline and I'll send you the archive.

Thanks very much,
Barry