Lock Screen disables Lock Messages (???)

Mark Schonewille europe at ehug.info
Fri Jul 30 05:34:39 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I'm not sure that I have posted on this list before. Some of you
know me as an enthusiastic HyperCard. I am reading this list for
quite some time now, but due to lack of time, I didn't
participate. I have a little more time now and I think the
moment has come that I can contribute to this list, once in a while.

So, what I wanted to say...

> The "lock messages" command does not stop all messaging. It mostly only
> stops the navigation messages -- such as openCard, openStack,
> preOpenCard, etc.

This is not true. The "lock messages" command stops all messages
that are not sent from the current handler or handlers called by
the current handler. However, if you put the "lock/unlock
screen" block outside the "lock/unlock messages" block, lock the
screen and set the window size, then "unlock screen" will invoke
window-related messages. That's logical, since messages are no
longer locked.

While the screen is locked, all window updates are postponed
until the "unlock screen" command is executed. This allows all
windows to be updated, but if the lockMessages is false,
updating windows invokes window-related messages.

Just make sure that the "lock/unlock screen" block is within the
"lock/unlock messages" block.

on mouseup
   -- lock screen
   growit