Linux distribution selection?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 31 19:00:44 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:

> I haven't had a Linux machine up and running since RedHat 7.
>
> I'm looking at all the available distributions, and as usual with Linux,
> it can be a little bewildering... but here is what I want...
>
> • Graphical install, package manager and file managers
> • Lightweight and suitable to run on VirtualPC
> • Capable of running Revolution
> • Suited to testing apps, and running test servers
> * No Linux terminal guru requirements
>
> It doesn't have to be a huge OS, in fact, better if it isn't. I don't
> plan to do word processing, spreadsheets, email, video editing or play
> games on it. It would be a Revolution development, and development
> server installation.

I've been enjoying Linspire (formerly "Lindows").  I've used Red Hat,
but with Linspire being the OS bundled with WalMart's $200 machines it
seemed worth seeing this aggressively-consumer-oriented OS.  I'm very
happy with it.

Extra bonus points:  if you don't want to install it you can run it from
the second CD included in the package.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation