2.5 cursor change

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 30 22:50:46 EDT 2004

On 7/30/04 8:59 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2004, at 9:26 PM, Marian Petrides wrote:
>
>> But I see your point, too.  Perhaps we don't really want users to
>> think "stack" but rather to think "professionally-looking mainstream
>> app."  Now, I am truly confused. ;-)
>

> Well, if it helps, Kevin Miller indicated the very reason for the change
> was to give Rev apps a more mainstream look. The mickey hand was one of
> the few things in Rev that triggered the "this isn't programmed in
> something real" reaction.
>
> One thought I entertained was the possibility of actually having the
> select tool have the mini 4-way arrow attached to the select arrow (as
> it does in the tool palette), particularly when in the IDE... which
> would give a visible cursor difference between the browse and select
> tools - which I don't argue as not being useful. I can see where it can
> be confusing (for some at least) that two very different modes have the
> same cursor.

I agree. I have to keep looking at the tool palette to know which mode
I'm in. It would be easier of the two cursors were visually different.

Another way to handle it would be to retain the mickey hand during
development and then allow the user to specify when building a
standalone whether to keep it or not. It would be very simple change; if
the hand cursor isn't available, Rev uses the system arrow by default.
The only thing you have to do to get a standard cursor in a standalone
is leave out the hand.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com