Rev player

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 03:33:19 EDT 2004

>>On Jul 27, 2004, at 12:18 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>>
>>>The HC player was needed because there was no authorized way to
>>>compile stacks into applications, leaving anyone without the
>>>HyperCard program itself no way to use stacks. That is not the
>>>case with Rev.
>>>
>>>So what am I not understanding?
>>
>>Only that it is available to you, but not really meant for you.
>>
>OK, but *in general*, who aside from the Dreamcard developer would
>really want to use this approach to delivery? I am sure there must
>be some folks, I just can't figure out who they are!

If you're delivering to some government organisations, there's a big
hurdle to get over for any program to be accepted from a security
point of view.  If you want to deliver an initial product and then
come back with future offerings, it's easier to get a Player cleared
for use once and for all and then deliver a series of stacks using
that Player.  I've done this with MetaCard as a Player and several
training stacks.

Also, such organisations hate having to retrofit programs to 100s or
even 1000s of existing workstations and they'd never let users
download and install new applications for themselves.  However, if
you can get a Player included in the standard build of a workstation,
they have no problem letting users download and use stacks (with
certain safeguards of course).

They view an xTalk Player plus stack as simply another example like
the Flash Player + Flash animation, the QuickTime Player + QuickTime
movie, etc.  It's an easier sell, especially if you can supply a
plug-in installer for the Player so new users can simple click on a
link on an intranet page and the Player can be quickly and easily
installed!

This issue of what's seen as a browser plug-in vs what's seen as a
separate application can be a complete enabler/show stopper for large
organisations - they will happily allow "plug-ins". but little to do
with "programs"!!  This is why I REALLY hope that RunRev will follow
up the Player approach with something that makes it easy to provide a
"plug-in installer".  I assume that the security model that's been
the subject of much discussion recently, is a tilt in that direction?!

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
         preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk
      http://www.reidit.demon.co.uk