sliderbug or me being stupid again...?

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 19:47:17 EDT 2004

At 6:39 PM -0400 28/7/04, Wouter wrote:
>Some weird behavior or am I doing something wrong?
>
>recipe:
>A scrollbar, style set to scale/slider, start value 1, end value  10,
>show value true
>A button with the script:
>
>on mouseUp
>    put the thumbpos of sb 1 into tX
>    repeat with i = 1 to tX
>      put 0 into item i of tC
>    end repeat
>    put "thumbpos:" && tX && "output:" && tC
>end mouseUp
>
>Try different positions of the slidebar.
>Look at the output with the thumb in the region just before the value
>shown changes.

No, not YOU being stupid, the slider is stupid. I have to admit that
that alleged stupidity of the slider is my opinion and it is not
shared by Scott Raney (see bug #347).

Set the numberformat of the slider to "0.00" and look at the results.
You can get it to work how you might expect by using round(the
thumbposition) in your script. But there is more to it...

Sliders and scrollbars are far more difficult to work with
quantitatively than you might think. The pageIncrement property
doesn't determine the increment obtained when you click on the grey
bit, it is really the pageInc minus the lineInc. The default lineInc
for a new slider object is set to 0 (you can't see it in the object
properties inspector but you can query it or set it with the message
box). However, it changes if you change the numberformat ("Value
format") of the slider! Thus if you have a slider with the
numberformat set to show some decimal places you will see that
clicking in the grey area of the slider gives you a change of value
that is LESS THAN the pageInc ("On bar click") value. Of course, how
much less than the expected value depends on the particular
numberformat. I find this situation to be awkward every time I try to
use a scrollbar or slider object.

Just yesterday I posted this to the Improve-rev list:

--
Michael J. Lew

Senior Lecturer
Department of Pharmacology