Cross-platform fonts...what is everyone else doing?

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Wed Jul 28 12:18:33 EDT 2004

Two reasonable suggestions -- comments below:

On Jul 28, 2004, at 4:48 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Cubist at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Cross-platform fonts...what is everyone else doing?
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>    Stupid idea: Since Windows fonts stay assigned after you assign
> them on
> Windows, why not just *do* that as a one-time operation when you're
> releasing
> stuff for Windows? Yes, this does somewhat go against the "write once,
> run
> anywhere" ideal we all strive for. But if Windows just refuses to
> either do the
> right thing itself, or allow you to do the right thing for it...

I considered that -- but I started this thread hoping not to have to do
that.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:20:55 EDT
> From: Cubist at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Cross-platform fonts...what is everyone else doing?
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>    Another idea for how to deal with it: Why not include a function
> that
> allows your users to select whichever font they like? You can set
> things up so
> that the first time your app runs, it allows them to choose their own
> font (and
> do whatever other preference-type tweaking you care to implement).
> After that,
> everyone walks away happy, with a font that they *know* works on
> *their*
> systerm, because they *chose* it themselves! Best of all, this
> solution *is*
> perfectly cross-platform, just because...

You have to be careful about doing that because if they choose the
wrong font, the baseline bug will not only make all your carefully
aligned fields and controls misaligned, but you might get cutoff text
on your carefully designed labels if the new font is wider than what
you designed your screens to.

I think I will probably go with a runtime solution, such that when a
stack opens for the first time it quickly checks every field for a
non-empty font/size/style and resets it to the correct font for that
platform.  I don't have that many controls that are bolded or have a
different point size, so it should be fast enough.

-- Frank

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/