Rev player

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 27 12:42:23 EDT 2004

At 09:18 27/07/2004 -0700, Dan Shafer wrote:

>Robert Brenstein said:
>
>>it will surely be the runtime environment for stacks produced in
>>DreamCard, but I suspect that a number of people using Rev will also opt
>>to distribute their products as stacks, like it used to be with HyperCard
>>player.
>
>I may be missing something here, but I can't imagine any situation in
>which I would choose to prefer to distribute a product I create as a stack
>to be run in the Player rather than as a compiled standalone application.
>I suppose in some specialized situations or closed environments like
>classrooms one might for some reason prefer this approach. But I see the
>Player as a natural companion to Dreamcard, a way for a Dreamcard
>developer to distribute stacks to others who don't own Dreamcard or Revolution.

This may count as a specialized situation, but if you are particularly
concerned about size, then there may be a case for distributing stacks.
Stacks can be small (5-20K), but standalones are (I think) typically
upwards of 1.75M   If you have many dial-up (or even GSM modem) connected
users, that might be a case for distributing stacks.

-- Alex.