Public ip address

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Jul 26 17:08:54 EDT 2004

On Jul 26, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Roger Amar wrote:

> Owing to the fact that our customers use routers, in more from various
> manufacturers and that they are working on different platforms (MacOS
> 9, MacOS X and Windows), the only simple and reliable solution that I
> found at this time is to import the Web page of whatismyip.com and to
> extract the IP address.

Roger,

I can give you a five lines CGI and a parse routine for your script if
you want... just don't use www.whatismyip.com please! their homepage
can go offline and then what, your app is rendered useless. If you
going to make a CGI connection to probe for IP, let it be hosted by
you. It's more elegant, safe and error proof. there are tons of people
here that can send you this code, it's pretty easy. Just don't relly on
third-party home pages, if they go offline, change design, or timeout,
you'll be a sitting duck...

andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004