Acrobat is much more than a browser plug in

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Jul 24 17:46:35 EDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Bob Warren wrote:

> To see an example of a PDF being shown in the altBrowser, please visit
> my
> little article at http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/svg.htm once again, and
> scroll to the bottom of the page. You can also download an executable
> demo
> from there. From this demo, you will confirm that you can print etc.,
> i.e.
> all the things you would normally do in Internet Explorer.

And all of that is a really good thing. AltBrowser (especially once
available cross platform) is an awesome plug in.

That said, there is a much greater level of PDF functionality to be
had. Imagine building your own custom version of Acrobat reader in
RunRev, tied in with whatever else is in your application, with all of
your own controls, and the ability to manipulate the Acrobat files
however you want to, including modifying and re-saving them. Imagine
being able to run handlers which get as parameters - the current
document, the selected page, and the selected text on the page, plus
keywords, metadata, and everything else the PDF stores. Continue
imagining the ability to do a search in an embedded database, pull up a
specific document, turn it to a specific page, and select text on the
page. Or return a list of matching search results across many
documents...

Browser plug in functionality is comparatively minimal, and quite
restricted - this is not a limitation of AltBrowser, but of the Acrobat
plug in itself. Right now, it is the best we have, and that is pretty
good. But it can be great... the right people are involved at this
point to start making it more possible.

Revolution is awesome, but it really needs the support of externals
developers. AltBrowser is one example of an excellent and powerful
functionality that does not have an equivalent in the base Revolution
package (of the very few things.) Strong PDF support is another.

Another upside is the fact that this particular external doesn't
require any specific browser to be installed, would be cross-platform,
and doesn't even need Acrobat Reader to be installed.

The downsides? It likely won't be cheap, and it will likely have a
comparatively hefty file size, roughly 10 megs of distribution resource
files (because it is completely self-contained and makes no
presumptions about what is installed on the user's system.)

If you have any interest in this, please send a quick message to the
list saying so. A brief gauge of the interest level could  help inspire
RunRev and the external developers, to get this technology into our
hands quickly.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.