Express to Dreamcard was RE: scrollbar problems

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 22 09:36:41 EDT 2004

At 06:04 22/07/2004 -0700, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>As for the licensing stuff, I haven't yet read a post from Kevin
>describing what will happen with license holders for the
>about-to-be-end-of-lifed Express (did I miss it?).

Yes, it's in the FAQ mentioned in Kevin's announcement email
    An FAQ on the changes to Express can be found here:
    http://www.runrev.com/express/expresstodreamcard.shtml

>Because there is nothing in the new product lineup that matches the old
>Express product, the question is whether those licenses are downgraded to
>the new DreamCard or upgraded to Studio.  Of course a free upgrade to
>Studio would be heroic of them, but it might still be good if there were
>an attractively-priced upgrade option to carry Express users forward.

There's a very attractively priced upgrade at "your next update cycle"
>For your next update pack only, you can cross grade to Studio for $99, the
>cost of an old style Express update pack.

I think that's pretty good (as Bob called it "a very generous $99")
But thereafter the annual cost has gone up from $99 to $199 - i.e. more per
year than the initial purchase of Express cost you.

>For myself, I'm glad there's now a clearer differentiation between the
>products.  I could never quite remember all of the distinctions among
>them, and making DreamCard more obviously a hobbyist product helps clarify
>the product line as a whole.
>
>When comparing prices with other products remember to account for total
>costs.  I'm not familiar enough with either set of packages to make a
>comparison (I bought a MetaCard license years ago which was only available
>for $995 and never regetted it), but the issue has come up on other lists
>and last time I read such a thread Rev's prices were ultimately on par.

Well, just 10 days ago I bought my first license - Express plus a one year
update bundle.
Now I find that there will be no updates on the product I bought.

Tell me again  - why should I be happy about it ?

(And I won't even mention the fact that I bought it in the UK, at 40% more
than the USD prices we generally talk about).

-- Alex.