Rev 2.5b Interface

Derek Bump webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Thu Jul 22 01:39:21 EDT 2004

> oh boy  that means: "All your stacks are belong to us..." paranoia?
>
> not that it cannot be done, but hey, if you type open stack url
> "http://www.mySweetVirii.net/theStack.rev" in your message box it will
> also be a problem... that is not something new with revOnline, if you
> going to execute anything on your computer, you'd better trust the
> origin of the source stack. I've never seen a destructive stack, but if
> some stupid script kiddie tries something like that, we'll just throw
> him out of revOnline.
>
> The point is, it's not like Outlook where you can get viruses without
> executing them, were on revolution, stacks execute only if someone
> loads them... if you're afraid of that just don't run remote stacks.
>
> cheers

Yes, this is very true.  But in my experience (through family and friends) if hackers, spammers and script kiddies can get people to believe that the latest fake security update is from Microsoft, then someone can easily do the same in Revolution.  These people are getting more and more creative everyday, and it's my belief that if we make it easier for them, they will exploit it.

Also, I'm not afraid of getting a virus from running a remote stack.  Why, because I don't run remote stacks unless I'm sure of the source.  What I am worried about is the possiblity of new users running those remote stacks due to implied trust from the source.

Also, is there a filter in place for Revolution Online.  Yes, if they post a stack with the last 20 years of Playboy Centerfolds, they'll most likely get removed.  But is that before they try to post it, or after someone notices it?

It just leaves open too many questions and possiblities.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
Compress Images Easily with JPEGCompress
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com