Getting to Malta (was Re: Monterey Summit - kudos to Dan and Chipp)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 20 14:25:06 EDT 2004

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> Great to meet you in Monterey. Good stuff, your HTTP server completed in
> Rev!
>
> Now, if I remember correctly, didn't Richard promise something on your
> return? ;-)

Hey, it seemed a safe bet he'd be stuck in Chicago for a while answering
questions posed to him in Spanich, giving me at least several more days. :)

Three reasons for the delay:

1. I'm looking into dual-licensing for devolution.  The more I
    think about it the more I like the idea, making free stuff
    for free use and commercial stuff for commercial use, all
    in one package.  Much better than either fully GPL or fully
    commercial.

    If MySQL's success is intriguing, check out these two links:

<http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:eaZfcKt0P4AJ:opensource.mit.edu/papers/valimaki.pdf+importance+of+dual+licensing&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/wlg/4715>

2. During the train ride home I got an idea for something really cool
    to add to devolution, and by the time I got home it's 80% done.

3. I discovered that the Rev IDE is not passing the mouseDoubleUp
    message, which hampers the utility of devolution's Object
    Browser.  I've reported it, and will document the bug in
    devolution's Help file.

So now I'm putting together at least enough documentation to get folks
started.  More soon....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation