Current file position ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 20 14:03:42 EDT 2004

At 09:30 20/07/2004 -0700, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

>At 7:09 AM -0700 7/20/2004, Jan Schenkel wrote:
>>--- Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:
>>  > How can I find the current file position ?
>

>>I'm afraid you can't do that ; please file an
>>enhancement request with bugzilla to get a
>>'currentPosition' property for open files.
>>Please remember to inform the mailing list of the
>>number so people can vote on it ;-)
>
>This was bug 645.

Well I've learnt one thing - the default search in Bugzilla doesn't look at
"fixed" bugs, otherwise my search would have found this, and I'd not have
caused unnecessary effort - sorry.

>It's listed as "fixed", but the specified syntax doesn't seem to work; I'm
>not sure what the deal is.

The way I'd read comment #4 is that the solution described in #1 wasn't
good, because it changed the previous "OK" behaviour, and that it therefore
would have to be changed, even though comments #2 and #3 indicated the
original solution had been implemented. Perhaps this happened before it was
committed to a release. I'm surprised that Bugzilla doesn't indicate the
release in which a bug marked as "RESOLVED FIXED" has been integrated.

-- Alex.