OOP Transcript

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jul 19 20:15:02 EDT 2004

I have only one semi-sarcastic comment to add to the discussion on
implementing OOP in Transcript.

When people tried to make an OO version of C, the result was one of the
worst languages ever foisted off on the programming world: C++. Pascal
suffered a similar fate.

My conclusion: you can't turn a procedural language into an OO language
anyone really *wants* to use. Don't try.

I'd rather see someone start from scratch and write a new
transcript-compatible language that is OO. Bigger task to be sure but
maybe the end result would be usable.

Dan (ducking back into his own little Smalltalk world)