Card scrolling tutorial

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Jul 19 14:09:00 EDT 2004

Hi again,

> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:42:37 +0200
> From: C List <c.list at fiberworld.nl>
> Subject: Card scrolling tutorial

On Jul 19, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Ken Norris wrote:

> The folder I got did not contain a Rev file. What is it? How do I open
> it?
>
> Please ignore this if the tutorial already addresses the following
> issue:
>
> I haven't time to try to get it open right now, but one thing I see
> from the post is that you should also show how to scroll an image in a
> group as well as a card in a stack. That way you can still have static
> UI controls in the same window.

OK, I got it open by dropping it on the "real" Rev application icon,
and I see that you have indeed dealt with the issue I spoke of.

Also, you got to another issue, that of the fact that Rev decompresses
images when opening as controls. Using reference files is the best way,
and even then, you have to be careful. My SJ County map is right at the
Rev limit.

But, for Very Large Scale (VLS) images (I will need to work with
composite aerial photos soon), you can break the composites down into
manageable sections, i.e., tiles, and file them that way. For the sake
of the user's sanity as well as my own, I will create an in-between
scale scrollable gridded metamap of the whole thing. The user will
scroll around in it until they find the grid containing the section
they want to see. The Main map will display that section in Very Large
Scale format in an accompanying group. Then the user can scroll around
in it as well, to find exactly what they want.

The county has a special Acrobat Pro PDF application that does this
after a fashion, but it is not accessible by the public, so I thought I
would build one in Rev, which I've done. But what I will be looking at
next are aerial photos which are anything but large scale. They are
currently shot on 9-inch film at

But I need to get a question answered about image controls way before I
get started on that one.

Thanks,
Ken N.