Getting to Malta (was Re: Monterey Summit - kudos to Dan and Chipp)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jul 19 12:04:56 EDT 2004

My bad, guys and gals.

I made the mistake of checking flights from Monterey, which is our
local airport. Generally, when I travel I insist on leaving from there
because I hate the long lines at SFO and SJC. And as a rule, leaving
from Monterey has a relatively minor impact on my domestic air fares,
so I made the faulty assumption that I would see the same result for a
trip to Malta.

I was wrong. I apologize to everyone, but particularly to the hosts of
the Malta conference, for making such an inaccurate observation. Chalk
it up to fatigue after running the two-day Monterey summit or just to
not paying attention.

In any case, it appears now that I *can* in fact arrange reasonable air
fare to Malta in November. My wife and I are now discussing the idea of
combining the trip with a chance to see another city or two in Europe
while we're there. So while I'm not yet committing to being at the
Malta gathering, I will certainly continue to entertain the idea and
consider it more likely than I rudely dismissed in my earlier post.

Let me add that I think it's vital to the long-term success of RunRev
and the Transcript language that we who are already knowledgeable about
it spread the word. Conferences like the just-concluded Masters Summit
and this European conference are really important to that effort. How
many independently hosted and managed user conferences did RealBASIC
have this year? You can count them on the fingers of no hands.

So to the extent that my flippant remark about air fare caused anyone
to decide to stop even thinking about going to the conference, please
don't take my word for it. I am hardly a seasoned international
traveler. Investigate for yourself.

One of the highlights of the Masters Summit was the once-in-a-lifetime
chance for all of us to meet our new hilarious friend from Brazil,
Andre Garzia. He's made huge contributions to the community and getting
to know him in person was invaluable. I was particularly blessed
because he arrived in Monterey three days before the conference, so he
and I got to hang out a bit outside the meetings. That wouldn't have
happened if he'd dismissed out of hand the idea of flying to the U.S.
for a two-day conference.

So again, I apologize. I retract my inaccurate statement. I will now be
considering the enticing prospect of going to Malta in November. I hope
you will, too.