RecordInput Setting for Telex USB Audio Device

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 18 00:56:06 EDT 2004

Is there any way to query the system on OSX for the 4 character string
that will automatically switch the record input property to a setting
that will pipe the sound from USB input?

Of course one can go to the sound control panel in system prefs, set
the input to the "Telex USB Audio Device" (excellent! piece of hardware
by the way... comes with iListen...) and then in the record scripts,
set the recordInput to "dflt" and it works... And happily it seems even
if the  user has his system sound prefs set to internal Mic... when he
plugs in the Telex USB into the USB port the sound panel seems to
recognize this and automatically switches to the USB -- so that (set
the recordInput to "dflt")  works.

But I have been "burned" too many times when you think everything is
going work and then in a live recording situation, defaults all sudden
change... then the user will simply gets no sound file recorded.

  I would rather hard code the USB into the recordinput Property in my
scripts. I tried all the ones listed in the docs imic, emic, mbay, idav
etc... none of them work, only dlft works if USB is already set in the
system sound prefs. Is this list of 4 character options hard coded in
the Metacard engine? or are they part of Quicktime? If the latter, I
would assume one could read them somewhere...

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org