use-revolution Digest, Vol 10, Issue 55

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:32:12 EDT 2004

SimPLsol at aol.com writes:
> Mark,
> Word has lots of weird.
> Sometimes turning on fractional widths helps, sometimes it hurts - only
> experimenting can tell for sure.
> In a large operating manual I have one page where I want a small picture to
> sit side by side with a small paragraph. Position them so, print and the
> paragraph prints above the picture - and the manual has changed on the screen to
> match the printout. No matter what I do.
> Of course there is no real alternative...

Word isn't the only game in town.  inDesign (the newest PageMaker)
is great.  A steeper learning curve, but much easier to work with
when combining text and graphics, and much more flexible.  Quark
should be much the same (never used it).

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools