Best format for screen shots?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Jul 13 19:06:13 EDT 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 6:53 PM, SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

> I have never worked with png files. I understand that they are like a
> "super
> GIF", similar format, more colors. Do you know if pngs are bitmaps? I
> would
> like a format that scales well.

PNGs are losslessly compressed bitmaps supporting 24 bit color and an 8
bit alpha channel, as well as having the ability to adapt to platform
specific gamma settings.

They do not support multiple frames in a single image as GIF does, and
are usually larger in file size than JPGs, but other than that, pretty
much have the edge over all the other (generic) bitmap formats.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.