Get from "unopened" stack

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Tue Jul 13 12:26:47 EDT 2004

Hi Troy,

> On Jul 13, 2004, at 11:27 AM, Klaus Major wrote:
>>> What else can be retrieved from an "unopened" stack?
>> Anything you like :-)
>> Hint:
>> You can also SET anything on "unopened" stacks, but don't forget to
>> SAVE your
>> unopened stack, or the changes are lost when you access that stack
>> again in
>> your next session with RR/standalone!
>
> Thanks Klaus!
>
> I was in the middle of a bunch of testing, and figured someone might
> already have the answer.
> A few follow-up points if I may...
> How is accessing an unopened stack different than using "go invisible"?

I have actually no idea...

Maybe an "unopened" stack is loaded into memory somehow in a hiden area
when accessing
some props of that stack and maybe released immediately after that, but
i am only guessing...?

Maybe someone knows what is going on here behind the scenes?

> Does cloning an unopened stack cause the screen flash, where the stack
> become visible temporarily as it does when you clone an invisible
> stack?

No idea, check it out ;-)

But i doubt that you can clone an "unopened" stack...

> If I am accessing an unopened stack, and I then choose to display it,
> say as a sheet,
> it that cleaner to display than changing window modes from "invisible
> toplevel" to "visible sheet"?

Hmmm, maybe it depends on the size of the stack, small stacks are
opened very fast...

But invisible stacks are already loaded into memory and therefore
should appear immediately on screen!

> Very cool. It's like getting new features unveiled every day.

Yes, this one is extremely important when writing and getting props
to/from
"preferences" stacks!!!

> Too bad it wasn't yesterday, so they could be in my projects already.
> ;-)

Well, you should have asked earlier... ;-)

> --
> Troy
> RPSystems, Ltd.
> http://www.rpsystems.net