Bringing some Game Sounds into Rev

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 10 13:27:17 EDT 2004

On 7/10/04 8:31 AM, Kurt Kaufman wrote:

>>> If you know the piano keyboard you might also use the sample stack
>>> "MIDIBuilder" (included with the Revolution distribution) to generate
>>> MIDI files which you could reference in a Player object.
>>

> JLG wrote:
>
>> I just looked at this again -- it is really very nice, and has come a
>> ways since the early version I last saw.
>>
>> I'd like to type notes with my left hand and durations with my right
>> (from the keypad). Then I could type the whole midi sequence. I guess
>> there would have to be some kind of octave toggle though.
>

> Yes; I have used applications which map musical notes to the computer
> keyboard (such as iPiano).  But I felt that the need to invoke keyboard
> shortcuts to switch octaves is cumbersome.  I guess with enough
> practice....

The keyboard mapping I've seen elsewhere tries to match the home
positions of the typist to the home position of the piano keyboard,
which isn't what I had in mind. I would be happy with a straight
alphabet correlation, since all the keys I need already lie under the
left hand. That is, the piano key "A" would be the keyboard "a", the
piano "B" would be the keyboard "b".

But when I wrote my request, I didn't take into account the sharps and
flats, which wouldn't be easily mapped to my system. And the octave
changes would also require some thinking. So, maybe it wasn't such a
great idea after all. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com