Shell $PATH problems

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jul 9 15:48:41 EDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Kaveh Bazargan wrote:

>> I'm naive in Unix.
>
> Makes two of us. ;-)

I found _Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther_.  It might help.

>> From my Terminal I get this:
>> echo $PATH
>> /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
>>
>> From shell() on Rev 2.2 I get this:
>> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/dar
>
> OK. So two paths are being looked at depending on whether we are in
> Terminal or RR. Any more guidance on this from Unix gurus would be
> appreciated.

Well, until a guru weighs in...  I found in the above reference that
bash looks at both /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc.  Then it looks in
.profile.  I have no .profile, the best I can tell.  Maybe you have one
and it adds the paths.  Maybe you can get your shell to look at it or
maybe you can switch to absolute paths.

An alternate way to shell is to use appleScript to get to a shell.

Dar Scott