Call for Tutorial Topics

Elizabeth Dalton dalton_runrev at gaeabooks.com
Fri Jul 9 02:02:00 EDT 2004

Another tutorial I think would be helpful (though I don't know how many
people would use it) would be one on handling Unicode and other
multibyte formats. Areas would include entering Unicode/multi-byte text
into fields, copying values between fields and other controls, setting
labels to Unicode/multi-byte text values, and reading and writing to
files with Unicode content.

The existing documentation entries are not very helpful -- they give the
commands, but don't explain which ones you would want to use and why.
Searching this list isn't much better -- I found partial answers to some
questions in old threads, but not a good comprehensive look at the
issues (other than the humorous but unhelpful comment that "The
inspector is a disaster for Unicode input"). I've been finding my way
through by trial and error (and fortunately, I know a fair amount about
how Unicode works). I may be in a position to write this tutorial and an
example stack after a couple of weeks, as I'm working on Chinese
language learning software and I'm going to need to be thoroughly
acquainted with how it all works by the time I'm done.

So if anyone has any other related topics (besides the ones I listed
above), it would be helpful if you could send them to me.

Regards,

Elizabeth Dalton