creating a log file

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jul 8 23:17:05 EDT 2004

Chris,

I can't tell you from memory but there are some ways to grokk inside
the Rev engine when a error occurs and see why, like informations on
context and the like. That might help you, if you look inside Rodney
and Monte libCGI code, you'll see their error routine, it does just
that.

since I am a big fan of webservers and untought uses of the HTTP
protocol, I build a little app I will share soon. I call it SoapBox
(from Soap Dog Message Box, soapdog is me), it's a little stack that
has a field and a embedded webserver, this stack will answer to PUT,
POST and GET commands logging the data that was sent, you can then save
or dispose the data the way you want. I keep this running inside
http://home.soapdog.org:8081/soapbox (offline now), so when any stack
of mine wants to shout it uses a simple error routine:

on shout pMsg
      put the short date && the short time && "-" && pMsg into URL
"http://home.soapdog.org:8081/soapbox"
end shout

this way I can easily debug distributed apps running on diferents
computer across networks, no matter where my stack is running, it will
echo messages in this net-savvy console, and also when some app of mine
goes down, the soapbox console still up and give me some info. I think
this is a nice thing to have.

Cheers
andre

On Jul 8, 2004, at 2:01 PM, Chris Sheffield wrote:

> In doing some testing, we're having some problems with an application
> where
> it just unexpectedly quits when running under OS X.  So far I have been
> unable to reproduce the problems on my own computers, but others in my
> office are reporting that this is happening.
>
> So what I'd like to do is create some kind of logging routine where my
> standalone will write to a text file all commands, functions,
> messages, etc.
> that are getting sent.  So far I've just taken all my scripts, copied
> them
> to a sub stack of my main stack file, stripped what I don't need, put
> in
> some code to write the handler name and any parameters to a file, and
> then
> passing the handler.  I've inserted the script of this sub stack into
> front
> so it'll receive any messages first.  But I'm wondering if this is the
> best
> way to do this?  It'll take me forever to do it this way.  Is there
> some
> kind of all encompassing message that gets sent that can be used to
> extract
> information about other messages?
>
> I don't know if this is even making sense or not.  How do others go
> about
> creating a logging routine like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Sheffield