Call for Tutorial Topics

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Thu Jul 8 16:43:44 EDT 2004

Amen!

See comments below (if interested).

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Elizabeth Dalton wrote:

> Essentially, if you claim newbies can do this stuff with Express, show
> them how. These should be bundled with the RR download and explored in
> tutorials similar to the "Independent Study" tutorial. It wouldn't hurt
> to look through these examples and note the most common features and
> pull them out as their own sequenced tutorial lessons, either (e.g.
> external file access). And it would *really* help to have a "table of
> contents" view of each tutorial, for people who need to browse through
> and find a particular part of a tutorial, either because they already
> know how to do part of it, or because they have done it once already and
> just need to look something up. This is where printed docs are still
> ahead of electronic docs. (See the PS note for a comment about the
> printed manuals.)

--Yes.  And have them up-front and obvious so that the user doesn't have
to search for them.  As Richard noted, this probably means a redo of the
UI for this market.

<snip>

> Again, look at the marketing for Revolution Express: "Anyone can use
> Revolution Express to write software. It's as simple as pointing and
> clicking to make objects like dialog boxes, buttons, pictures, and text
> fields. Then you write straightforward, English-like instructions for
> each object to control what the object does." I don't know if there is a
> market anymore for "programming for the rest of us,"

--I think there is; here in the US the state and feds have poured untold
buckets of dollars into providing computer technologies in the classroom,
and one would hope that the idea was NOT that they'd just be expensive
keyboarding devices and web-surfing baby-sitting devices.

Unfortunately, in alot of instances, they paid for the stuff before
noticing that teacher training/licensing programs don't train teachers for
computer literacy.  Hence, computer skills of new teachers can be pitiful.
And, at least at my university, the teacher ed folks don't think people
need to know anything other than PowerPoint.  :(

Judy