Documentation & Books

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Jul 8 15:05:05 EDT 2004

It is with some hesitation that I offer this in connection with this
discussion of books and documentation.

Some years ago I wrote a small book: "LOGO Physics", Holt, Reinhardt
and Winston

It was intended to provide a workbook for students of LOGO, to
advance their LOGO skills and allow them to learn a little physics on
the side. Once they tire of drawing polygons, perhaps they would like
to draw a planetary orbit based on Newton's laws of motion.

Later, after I had discovered HC, I translated the book into
HyperTalk, which I felt was much better suited to beginning students.
LOGO was a LISP derivative, and, while list processing is well suited
to artificial intelligence, it is not the best language for beginning
students.

I have made a few minor changes to make it more suitable to RunRev,
and put a copy of this MS Word file on my web site:

http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/

(Look for "Programming") Caveat: It has not been class tested or even
proof read.

This is not a challenge to Dan's book, or any book intended to teach
the fundamentals of programming. It is intended to be used in an
Advanced Placement course in High School for science students--a
course which doesn't exist. It is not appropriate for students
interested in Computer Science. It is the kind of programming that
scientists use, i.e. light on theory, heavy on whatever-works.

I do think the use of Turtle Graphics would be a useful addendum to a
high school programming course. The student gets instant
gratification in graphic format, and offers a change of pace to text
processing.

I believe there may be a Turtle Graphics tutorial in the works at RunRev.

Jim