Documentation & Books

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 7 23:43:23 EDT 2004

Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Judy Perry wrote:
<snip>
> > So, what I do is use a bunch of global variables to
> > keep track of these
> > things (and, one card for every display).  I'm
> > perhaps aware that this is
> > not the best way to do such things, but it is the
> > way I CAN do such
> > things.
>
> Instead of globals use custom properties for
> the whole stack:

The global variable is a pretty standard programming concept.  I'd think
that you *would* want to use them in a beginning programming class.  Of
course, if the students already understand global vs local variables from
other languages (or previous assignments in Rev), then introduce custom
properties.

I use global vars with my students for pretty much the same thing as
Judy does.  It's a beginning-beginning programming class, for 8th graders.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools