Documentation & Books

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jul 7 18:49:53 EDT 2004

Can't help if you don't read the dox... In fact, programming
environments are not multimedia interfaces, or teller machines-- which
have been designed specifically for ease of first time learning and not
ease of use. You should see the help file which Microsoft gives you for
Visual InterDev. It's even harder to navigage and find anything of
help/interest.

That being said, I *know* Kevin is particularly tuned to just the
problems you describe and is focussed on making the learning experience
easier for newbies. I think 2.3 will take a giant step in this direction.

Y'know, when I started using Rev, everything I learned which I thought
important to me, I posted on my website at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/default.htm

Over time, it has grown quite large, and is certainly not the easiest
site to navigate for content. But, I did it hoping others would be
helped by finding solutions there to some of the same problems they were
having.

That was my constructive approach to this problem.

I know it's somewhat frustrating, but consider this:

A few years ago, I wanted to start writing a simple web app which would
validate a username and password against a server. You all have seen it
before.

This should be simple, right? Well, let's see. Here are the various
languages and products I had to learn before I could do any of it.

I needed to be able to install and configure an IIS web server.
I needed to be able to install and configure a SQL server database.
I needed to be able to create tables and schema for the database.

Then I must learn all about ODBC and how to connect to a database from a
client development machine. I also need to learn all about access
control lists and workgroups as well as the IIS security model.

Next, install a development IDE so I can script .asp code and vbScript.
But, then of course I need to obviously know all about HTML, CSS,
Javascript (client-side validation) as well as SQL. These are all
different languages.

I need to be able to define recordsets using one of the different .asp
COM connector object libraries (of which there were a few at the time,
who knows which one to use?). Next I needed to learn about the
systemFileObject as I wanted to save a file on the server. More security
stuff and environment variables I had never heard of. I had to purchase
an extra COM object to do this. It keeps getting worse.... and there
were no books which explained it all. You had to find the proverbial
'diamonds in the haystack.' Now *this* was frustrating! -- but I did
eventually figure it out.

Imagine my relief when I stumbled onto RunRev. Of course the language is
large, but it is understandable, and findable. I could submerse myself
and still find some light at the end of the tunnel:-)

-Chipp