Documentation & Books

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 18:29:56 EDT 2004

Actually, as soon as I sent my reply to this, I was presented with a
perfect example of how you can get lost in the dox.

I had been looking for the method to extract eight characters from a 25
char string, starting at char 5.

In answering, Jacque suggested that I could have found the answer by
looking up "character" in the transcript dictionary and asked if I had
tried that.  I had looked up "string" and I had also used the SEARCH
DOCUMENTATION box entering "find character in a string" and "extract
character from a string."  This is an example of someone knowing that
the other search box exists and, as we were discussing, that it should
yield the most hits and using it--wrongly it would appear.

:::following my breadcrumb trail, or attempting to::::