run Rev app on two networked computers?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jul 6 22:50:39 EDT 2004

Kurt,

It helps if you can better understand how RunRev manages memory. In
fact, each computer would open up the copy of the stack and load it
completely in memory. At this point, cards can be added, fields filled
out, etc,-- but this only happens in memory....not the stack. Once a
'save stack xyz' is issued, then the disk file for the stack is replaced
with the current contents in memory. So, unless you have a way to 'check
in/out stacks' it's difficult to 'share' a stack, as it is being
completely overwritten each time a different 'user' saves it.

I believe Andre is probably going to talk about using a stack CGI as
webserver, which would obviate this problem by only loading a stack when
changes are made, then saving it. By locking the stack and not allowing
another access to it while it's being modified, a 'shared stack' concept
can be created-- though IMO, it's probably simpler to do this in MySQL
or other multi-user database which already has record locking tools in
place.

I hope this helps.

-Chipp