Overlapping audio

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Tue Jul 6 15:00:23 EDT 2004

Hi all,

> On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:25 PM, Rick Harrison wrote:
>
>> Try running several QuickTime Movies at the same time in Rev.
>> I think you will find that the audio does overlapp.
>
> True, but that is QuickTime doing it, not Rev... and therefore
> requires QuickTime to be installed. I suspect the original request
> about wanting to do audio overlaps "without using a player
> (quicktime)" is to avoid the need for QT to be installed. Which is
> pretty understandable for an audio-only function.

I think the term "player" is heavily misunderstood, since players do
not rely PER SE on quicktime!!!
But "players" in RR are almost always associated with QT, which is not
correct!!!

If QT is not present or you have "set the dontuseqt to true" you can
still have several sound
play at the same time, but only if you use "player"-objects!

"play ac xyz" is ok for a casual sound file, but will only play
UNCOMPRESSED
wav or aif files and the au format on a win system...

No idea of linux/unix...

Which reminds me of an older post of me concerning QT, never got an
answer on that :-(

The docs say, that "get qtversion()" will aready LOAD all the necessary
QT components
and you cannot "set the dontuseqt to true" in this session anymore!!!

But how can you decide to use or not use QT, if you cannot check for an
uptodate version???
You HAVE to check FIRST before deciding! At least i do...

There are lots of old QT 2.1.2 win-version around, at least on win 98,
i am sure! ;-)

Am i wrong or is this the old "chicken and the egg" problem?

Any comments are welcome...

Anyone knows what registry-entry to check instead?

> --
> Troy
> RPSystems, Ltd.
> http://www.rpsystems.net