Documentation & Books

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jul 6 11:40:16 EDT 2004

Judy Perry wrote:
> Novice programmers can't be expected to 'dig for diamonds' because they
> (a) don't know how to dig, (b) don't know what to dig with or for, and (c)
> don't know how to ask relevant questions.

Judy,

I think you have a different perception of novice programmers than I,
(and probably Dan as well). I think Dan and myself (and perhaps RunRev
for that matter) think of novice programmers as 'inventive users.' These
are individuals which may not understand the language, but have the
necessary computer experiences and motivation to know what to dig for
(solutions to their questions), and how to ask relevant questions.

Or-- on the other hand, existing programmers using other languages which
only need to learn more syntax to be able to use Transcript.

When HyperCard first came on the scene, they DID sign-up for the task
above..educating the masses regarding what computer programming is/could
be. Apple had tremendous resources (including fine authors like Dan and
Danny) to help them. Unfortunately, the mass education of beginners to
computer programming, is IMO, beyond the charter for this small compnay.

As I understand it, you are teaching computer language to first time
users who are in neither camp above. I don't think Dan's mission was to
provide a book to teach basic computer science concepts, which IMO, has
to be taught along with a beginning CS class.

> But with HC's UI and documentation (with indices) and Danny Goodman's
> book (with an index), many learned successful digging techniques.

I take it you're pointing out Dan's book hasn't an index? (PDF that is).
I think the printed version does. In any case, there is a great Search
tool for the online documentation inside RR. Not to mention, this list
seems willing and able to answer any questions.

> Of course  your book cannot be all things to all people, but when person
> after person comes to the list saying that what they really want/need is
> something along the lines of Danny Goodman's book, well, perhaps they are
> indicating that there is a need along those lines as well as what you are
> doing.

I am glad Dan's taken the time to write a book for Transcript. I believe
Dan's return on investment for this book is probably very slim, if it
all. Difficult to attract more writers w/out a large market.

Perhaps you should consider contacting Danny with a request? Or, maybe
you might consider writing your own book? One of the amazing things
about Dan Shafer, is when he wants to learn something, he just writes a
book about it-- a thorough way of 'purchasing' the knowledge.

> Heck, I suspect that there's even a need for something on Rev along the
> lines of "Hypercard in a Hurry"... @;-)

I agree, it would be really nice if we had more books. But it's
definitely a Catch-22 type of thing. More users = more books = more
users:-) Obviously, you're in a tough space, trying to teach students
Transcript without a good beginner text book.

best,

Chipp