Executing shell commands (OS X)

Kaveh Bazargan kaveh at focalimage.com
Mon Jul 5 18:32:37 EDT 2004

I am building a stack as a front end to some shell commands which I
normally type in Terminal. Most of the commands are "make" commands and I
want each button to send one of these commands.

This is how I am doing it now:

I have a hidden field called "makeScript" with this text in:

tell application "Terminal"
  try
  close window 1
 end try
do script with command "\
    bash;
    cd ELS/els-xml;
make viewpdf"
end tell

I need to change the make command near the end, with each button. So each
button edits that line, and then sends the following command:

do fld "makeScript" as applescript

Now this looks very clumsy and it is. Is there a more elegant way of doing
this? (I am having to close the Terminal window each time as each time a
new Terminal window is opened. It would be nice if this didn't happen.)