Flash reduction hints?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sun Jul 4 16:16:06 EDT 2004

Hi Troy,

> Has anyone posted a set of tips for avoiding screen flashes when...
> opening stacks, cloning stacks, etc. ?
>
> I have a number of unsightly flashes in my app no matter how many
> times I lock the screen, unlock the screen, etc.
>
> The worst one is like this -
>
> I have a stack which is used as a resource stack. It is generally
> loaded but "invisible." Sometimes the user may wish to review or
> modify this stack, which I allow them to in "as sheet" mode. The
> sequence of events looks like -
>
> lock screen
> set the visible of stack "Resource" to TRUE
> go to card 1 of stack "Resource" as sheet

On a mac you could try to set the loc of that stack to -10000,-10000 and
set it to visible... The sheet will know where to pop up ;-)

> Which of course causes a flash of the stack and then it slides in as a
> sheet, or in the case of Windows, pops on.
>
> Cloning a stack set to invisible causes similar issues.
>
> I took a look in the archives, but don't see much consensus on what
> will cause the flash for sure, and how it might be avoided. In fact,
> it sounds as though, in most cases, we're just stuck with it?

Is the "alwaybuffer" of these stacks set to true?
(This NOT the default setting in RR!)

When set to false it's one of the "best flashing candidates" around ;-)

Hope that helps...

> Thanks.
> --
> Troy