OT: Intereresting linux distro for us (was Re: altBrowser for Mac)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jul 1 12:25:58 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Fortunately for us, by choosing to develop with Rev we're uniquely
> immune to such things.  While OS X may arguably be the "best" Unix
> platform, Linux is the fastest-growing desktop platform, with more
> than a few analysts predicting it will eclipse Mac market share by the
> end of
> this year.  But no matter who rises and who falls, deploying to any
> major platform is just a click of a checkbox for us. :)

I see that most developers here are deploying basically to Win32 and
Mac platforms. Some here feel that linux is to complicated and the
like. So while looking for a decent distribution to install here so
that I could test my Rev apps on Linux, I came across a very inteligent
and elegant linux distribution called Cobind Desktop. They are
influenced by a text called "The paradox of choice" and tried to make a
clean linux, not overbloated with thousands of softwares, but just what
the user needs, there's ONE wordprocessing package (abiWord), there's
ONE spredsheet (gnumeric) and the like. So in the end, you've got a
very easy and pretty linux. They won't use Gnome or KDE as window
manager but XFCe which is very minimalistic and works great!

I am downloading their ISO right now to see if our apps will run out of
the box, but it appears nice...

more info at http://www.cobind.org

I really think that solutions like this and like Linspire are the ones
that will grow, not SuSe and RedHat which are too geeky for the normal
user.

Cheers

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL