altBrowser for Mac

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 1 03:34:00 EDT 2004

Edwin Gore wrote:

> This Zip things sounds veeeery interesting. Is it strictly a "compress this
> folder, compress this file" thing, or can I add a file to an existing zip?
> If so, this could be the file format I have been looking for my Amazon
> affiliate program...I need something that can hold a data file and a couple
> of hundred graphic files in one file.

The beauty of the Zip format is that it's widely used, so a great many
tools can decompress it (including Stuffit Expander and Winzip).

But if you have control over both compression and decompression remember
that Rev's built-in gzip is very efficient, and you can store data in
custom property arrays.  Using those together gives you very efficient
storage of nearly any number of files archived into a compact stack file
that allows you quick access to any of its stored file contents easily.

If Mac Finder info is important (creator and type codes) you can get
those from "the detailed files" and store them in a matching custom
property set.  If you set the fileType to those stored values before
writing out the contents of the compressed file data to disk, those
files will have the appropriate type and creator code restored.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation