ANN: Silly Client Demo. (was Re: Opening a Rev app from a browser?

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Thu Jan 29 23:57:17 EST 2004

On 1/30/04 1:32 PM, "Andre Garzia" <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2004, at 1:47 AM, Doug Lerner wrote:
>
>> Interesting idea - but this won't help either, for several reasons:
>>
>> (1) The user can actually use this client to connect to any of many
>> different servers. So we have no way of guaranteeing that the user is
>> logged
>> in the particular server with the link ahead of time.
>>

> Sorry, I didn't understand this argument. You need not guarantee that
> he is logged. CGI check it's IP at runtime. There's no assumption,
> ever. Each server will check for client... or a cgi might check for all
> server, it's pretty simple.

Right - but if the client is logged into Server A and click on a link for
Server B, your scheme wouldn't work, would it?

Besides, if the user is logged ANYWAY, they wouldn't need this.

>> (2) We wouldn't want to tie up potentially thousands of sockets by
>> having
>> everybody online all the time.
>>

> No socket is open on server. Client app is actually listening in a very
> passive way, only when user click the link, server open socket and send
> for it's data, so user is online only when he is trully trying to be
> online. That way, sockets are open on client, server plays client
> before playing server, it's better seen than explained.

I see. So your idea is to keep the Client open and listening, but... how can
it be listening without opening up a socket?

> While we were exchanging this emails, I coded an example. It's called
> silly client.
>
> It's available at http://public.soapdog.org/  it's a file called
> sillyclient.zip
>
> it's a simple client. You can log into
> http://home.soapdog.org:8081/sandbox
>
> this will show a link to check if remote user is running the client.
> pretty cool, it took me 10 minutes to do, it open no socket on server,
> and client got a vey low memory and cpu requirements.

I'll take a look at it!

Obrigado!

doug